Thursday, January 29, 2009

Running at the mouth about credibility



Wish that there was a formula to make artwork (paintings, sculptures or whatever) that were more self-satisfying and meaningful.

Would it be too easy then? Would the work seem shallow, despite the content or the hard work (in making the thing) involved?

There is that annoying issue about process and just how important it is. I, in fact, am willing to work hard-real hard, if it comes to that. But where's the guarantee that the end product will amount to more than just another tchatchke needing only to be dusted?

Here's a quote from the Robert Genn collection (http://quote.robertgenn.com/):
Rejection is a speck, like a bit of unwanted debris, imbedded like a pebble in our psyche, and it stays there niggling away and undermining our self-confidence until we feel strong enough to pull it out. (Janet Warrick)

Hah! Now we are on to the real issue-yep, I got passed over for a grant. And, yes, this little bit of rejection bothers me. Somehow, I was basing a lot of hope (counting my chickens before the hatch) on the idea that I'd ace this thing (I did ace it about 5 years ago: my ego made me say that) and have money to spend on art supplies-in fact, the money was already spent-I sure as hell needed more paint for my recently renewed "passion"....and then there's more plywood and hardware and -well, you name it, I needed it.

Since I'm really wandering in this writing, here goes another thought: I know that new supplies don't make the art, that only the artist can. Which leaves me high and dry, without square one, stuck inside of Memphis when it comes to the written word. I seem to be really great at putting down all kinda random thoughts, as long as one breath lasts. But anything longer becomes one tough challenge. The thought of writing a novel is not daunting to me in itself-I can do the work(if my hands could survive my nimble but inaccurate typing), but my brain just does not seem to encompass thoughts that are somewhat contiguous-how the hell could I ever stay on topic?

I'm also feeling that I can't seem to do this in my artwork, either...thankfully, this can be hidden with "style"-in this sense, "style" becomes continuity, which in turn, becomes credibility.

Or is this my problem? Is there quality and credibility to be found only in work that has continuity, in work that moves in a linear fashion (let's stay away from any idea about the stream of consciousness "format" here)? Or can I write in short paragraphs and one-liners only. A book of quotes perhaps? Worlds shortest art-crit essays-three sentences or less?

What is brewing in my mind, dear reader, is a project that William is creating up for Bill. One that will involve writing something lengthy (which, for me, would be more than five pages) and that does not "wander" (well, not TOO much). As for the artwork, I seem to be able to pull off (or at least feel ok about) making works that have recognizable style, but not necessarily conceptual linear continuity. Perhaps the credibility factor that I get from continuity comes about in the fact that I work on so many sculptures and paintings at once. each of these works stays with me physically, mentally and emotionally until its completion. It's interesting to
note that I put finished work in a different place-either on another floor or stacked somewhere so as to be accessible, but not necessarily visible. The official stamp of completion, to be followed eventually by photographic documentation.
This one is called "...And how."

No comments: