Sunday, June 21, 2015

the skinny

It's a matter of keeping the nose to the old grindstone when it comes to painting. This may be SO obvious to others, but I'm just learning it. Somehow, I thought one could sneak by with what worked in sculpture, so why not with painting?
Not so. I've recently"learned" how to get myself in a sort of trance state (or at least some other sort of concentrative place) in order to paint (or paint the way I see fit), but this isn't enough. The knowledge that comes with repetition still lacks here. I feel as though I'm close-really close to where I want to be, but each work is still a hit and miss proposition.
In speaking of wanting to get past this chancy "state", there's also a notion that this-right here right now-is where any artist needs to be. In a place of doubt, unsureness. So the fact that the hand does not perfectly correspond with the brain, even if this is a transient state, may be the answer. This is a place lacking in perfection, but filled with raw intent...

No comments: