Wednesday, March 26, 2008

later in the day

So I sent out word of this here new blog to a few folks I know and got back some positive feedback The best (Well, it was my favorite) being that writing this blog shouldn't be a job, but an enjoyable and hopefully productive thing to do....we'll see.
I thought that the best way to approach making different work would be to change my physical surroundings, so, much like my welding equipment, I'm going to work out of the house and not from the studio. At the studio, I always have several pieces in progress. That means distraction from the work which I talked about earlier in the day:collage and painting.
Today I spent all but the morning hours working on several collages and just mindlessly painting a board which needed to be redone. The work went extremely slowly-it almost seemed as though I knew every element that I had at my disposal before some sort of composition began to gel...after almost giving up, it seemed as though i had a period of an hour or so when the work just flowed. I might go back and rework some of the pcs I created, but my intuition tells me that there is something solid there.
Speaking of intuition, there's something to be said for age and experience here --or maybe it's that I had a lack of confidence when younger, but i don't think that that was it. I give it up to intuition when I just know something is right-that the track I'm on is the right one. By the same token, Ino longer bash my head all day long when it doesn't feel right to struggle to do artwork. The whole thing has to flow. Now I know on which days to clean the studio-can't say that I did when I was younger-I would fight all day until I'd finally give up in depression. It's as simple as this-somedays you are just not meant to do artwork. More later.

No comments: