Saturday, March 29, 2008

Words...and Bacon, too.


More biography...

When I was in grammar school, I had an easier time learning to spell than most of my peers. I still see words in my mind before writing them out, but I don't know that there is a connection between being a good speller and the visualization...

As I mentioned before, I have an affinity for words-their origins, meanings, histories. I'm often tempted to use more obscure/arcane ones in my work. Although I resist this when I'm feeling strong, sometimes they sneak in. Those of you who are more familiar with my work will know that written words, word fragments and sometimes single letters play an integral part in my sculpture (and my collage work as well). These don't always have meaning beyond a visual presence, which sometimes is stronger than other visuals.

Much as visual image is imbued with transportive qualities, so is the word. Fragments of words have a similar effect-this makes me wonder just what synapses fire when I put-let's say for argument's sake-a loose "R" into a pc: maybe"Robert", "Grrrr", "royalty"?-not any sort of provable fact, but....well, I wonder. In our everyday usage, we string words together to form communication-the better you know someone, the shorter those strings are (witness text messaging or even body language). Doesn't it make sense that bits/fragments would elicit responses?


Here's a non sequitur for you.


I've always liked Francis Bacon's work and recently have done a bit of reading up on him. But that's not what I want to talk about.

The open space that Bacon creates (or should I say leaves open) in his paintings is remarkable.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to it as I've always had a hard time leaving open spaces in my work.

This open space is powerful-I find it even more ominous than many of his figures. It lurks-but not as a presence. It gives the figures in his compositions an existence in a non-space. The space in these paintings is non-contextual....so as to not only threaten his characters with violence, but a total anonymity (you know, if a tree drops in the forest...) -a violent meaningless existence in a meaningless place. What then does violence mean-if a tree falls in the forest....

Rambling on, above is a collage on old painted wood (dimensions variable, approximately 10.75" X 10.25" X 1.75") using paper, pencil and tin. It has the title (which simply came to me as I was making it-got no explanation other than that) of "How and Why I Call You Judy" and sells for $115, plus shipping. Another bad photo...


No comments: