Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Reasons to be Cheerful-part 4


On Thursday, I leave for the Outer Banks. I'm going to help my friend Bob with setting up his camera and shooting the sound.


I want to see the ocean badly-so many memories and such a beautiful and moody place. I can still smell the ocean from the pier at Asbury Park so long ago when I was 7, tagging along with my grandparents and my Mom. A grey, rainy day-but the ocean...rolling eternally. And all the mystery of the dark boardwalk and pier. Smoking cigarettes and sleeping on the hot sand in Sea Girt after driving down in the early morning in my 55 Chevy, a parkway spirit. Shooting tin cans in the dunes of North Carolinawith my new BB gun, a reborn kid in my twenties. Bagged lunch on the beach at Sandy Hook, all too embarrassed to be with my parents. Unreal surf in Hawaii. Looking at the light of the seashore without the benefit of language, an infant nestled between my parents. An outdoor shower at Jeanie's grandmother's after a day of sun and surf.
Untitled and unfinished, this sculpture uses an old 20's medicine cabinet that Darrell gave me.
The carving has been around for a few months, waiting for a good home.

No comments: