Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rhonda

On Sunday, along with our Vet's help and guidance, we put Rhonda to sleep. As many of you can imagine, it was a terribly hard decision. The results of that decision have made this house feel almost empty. My worst breakup never felt quite this bad, but how can I compare? I've lost my best friend and, as another friend has put it, someone who would unquestioningly walk through fire, as long as she was by my side. I feel the part of a traitor, not going with her-sending her out alone and closing the door behind her.

Before Sunday, not a moment went by without wondering if there was some way that I could save her. Again, as many of you know, second guessing our decision has been very painful.

This simple red ball, her favorite toy, with the remains of a squeaker inside, remains in our kitchen, not that I need a reminder of her passing. It's just a physical thing that holds her space. It'll gather dust for sure, as will her memory. If I ever could beleive in the afterlife, now is the time that I'd press for its existence. Just to know that Rhonda and I could play together again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I prefer to mask pain with humor, cynicism, and sarcasm, I will only say that you are a "big damn poop, Bill, for making me cry at work when my makeup was so artfully arranged!" Rhonda will always be with you and you with her. She knows you would have given one of your organs to save her. She can tell the other dogs in heaven that there is such a thing as the "perfect human". Be gentle with yourself. V

Robin said...

Dear Bill Skrips-my heart goes out to you...Rhonda will live on in your heart...and by your writing, I can tell, she lived a wonderful life with you...take time to grieve and honor your life together.

Carla Trujillo said...

I'm very sorry for your loss.