Thursday, September 23, 2010

Food Fer Thought

Via FaceBook-Steve Terlizzi just posed the challenge to make a list of the fifteen artists who most influenced you AND will stick with you no matter what (his words). He said: Don't think about this too long...here's my list (in no particular order):
John Michael Basquiat
Robert Rauschenberg
Georg Baselitz
Franz Kline
Willem DeKooning
H.C. Westermann
Jim Nutt
William Burroughs
Henri Matisse (esp his Sculptures and Cut-outs)
Mark DiSuvero
Joseph Cornell
Pablo Picasso
Ernst Ludwig Kirchner
Ludwig Meidner
Franz Marc
Gerard Cambon
Guess I could keep on adding, but he said to keep it short and quick...


Did a painting yesterday that took maybe 15 minutes ...it's wonderful (only in my mind, which don't count fer &*%$^#*@), but lacks real contrast. The color all jives and sits well together, but the whole thing lays back and contrast-wise, it's soggy white bread. I am not a person that likes colors too wild in any shape or form, so I guess this work parallels my chosen "palette". But that doesn't mean I have to be satisfied with it. Looks as though I might have to start creating some exercises that will challenge my color choices.
Still looking for a dog. I flip/flop between thinking that my life is too busy for any such critter but then go and meet actual prospects. Saw an English Setter yesterday that was in need of a home-I thought this dog not a good match for me and ugly as well- this makes me question my values. I rescued a stray on Saturday and was all ready to take this dog in (what the dog looked like was truly secondary or tertiary to the goal: a home for the homeless) and then, the owner came and got her. There's two parts to the neediness here-one part being the dogs and the other part is all mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know I very much enjoy reading your thoughts. I have similar feeling about a dog. Met a great one last week, but he also belonged to someone else.
I have three friends that I visit not because they are interesting people, but they have great dogs. Not a bad plan considering the cost of vet service these days. Good luck, and please continue to write.
John255