Thursday, August 7, 2014

Remember Subliminal Advertising? And Force Feeding?

While google-trolling today,  I used the word "Assemblage" to see so,me of the work that was out there.
If you click on any one image, you probably know that you get a black box with several other images (as well as the one you've chosen). When I clicked on one of the smaller images, it was preceded EVERY TIME by an image of an artwork -but just for a second or two. I did this several times and the same artwork preceded my selection each and every time. In this case, it was a steer made out of printed tin cans ("Pisupo lua afe" by a Michel or Michael Tuffery somewhere out of the South Pacific)…tried it several more times -more out of disbelief than anything else.
THEN I googled a different search topic/images- "Found Object Assemblage"-this time a page from an assemblage artist named Barbara Irwin out of Texas came up EACH and EVERY time, showing me (just for a second) artwork I did not ask to see- repeatedly.
My comment? This is a disgusting use of the internet, but I suppose, Ladies and gentlemen, that we should fasten our seat belts for a truly bumpy ride in the years to come.
How can one say "Shame on you, Google?", as if the corporation had any feelings or ethics? For that we'd have to go to Hobby Lobby to get any real (corporate) feeling. I guess I can't blame the artists wholly, but I would make a serious point of avoiding any further contact with them or their work, as I do not like to be force fed.
Got some extra cash? Maybe you can get your work pictured on Google's homepage-I'm sure all it takes is the right amount of moolah! Soon when we open our respective "private" blogs or email accounts, we'll be treated to such delights as new works by these by Michel Tuffery or Barbara Irwin.

No comments: