Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ghosts and dust



I make things here

this place
is the world's closet

a suitcase for me
packed with all kinda stuff
covered in dust and lint
I can open it
anytime I want
but it can be messy

There are ghosts in there
many of them do not
belong to me
I traded cash for old memories
I'm often handed plastic bags
containing items
that once cut their owners
musty books that harbor ghosts
of dead girlfriends

photos cracked with the weight of tears
you push the button, we do the rest
photos that hold beloved pets in place forever
or just as long as the Kodak moment lasts
enough time for the owner to forget
just who Sparky really was
which fact in itself
counts for a tear or two

enough of that
these things need to be freed
from their anchors
from their lead hearts
to become mediums
that say something else
to speak in different tongues
we'll still recognize them
as having meaning before word
yet able to talk of new voyage
of new uncharted places
and speak for others
who are not yet dead.

they resemble
nothing so much as
sentiment fleeting,
as fickle as a young suitor
but wrinkled and cracked
with the burden of experience
and the brutality of fact.


The painting above (18" X 18") was done quite awhile back. At the time, I was painting from photographs of boxers and have quite a few of them-I'm bringing a bunch of the smaller ones down to the show in Georgia with me.
"The Brutality of Fact" is a fragment of a quote by the painter Francis Bacon, as well as the title of a book of interviews conducted by David Sylvester with the painter.




No comments: