Monday, November 24, 2008

Need some answers


Turning heads.

That's what it seems as though I've been obsessed over the past two days. I'm trying to envision making some sort of 3D heads that wouldn't require that much effort or material, so that I can spend more effort on modifying them...chicken wire, plaster, wood armatures, wet and reformed cardboard-I keep going over this in my head and haven't struck on anything yet. I have a great distaste for a lot of these materials. But carving the heads out of wood, although "noble" and the "right" way to do things seems foolish, considering that I'm more interested in covering the things up than anything.

I have some "hard" styrofoam in the shed-I've held onto it since getting the place-although I don't have any experience working with this material, it seems as though it could partially fit the bill (it doesn't answer the other part: to have a form I can nail things into). S'pose I could use glue instead of nails, but somehow that seems dishonest-or maybe just not as gratifying.

The logs I have from the willow that fell in the yard will answer for some of the needed material as well. I might actually use the chainsaw to do a bit of the "elbow" work so I don't suffer too much from the process (I have tennis elbow from all the hammer swinging and carving I've done throughout my life-I can carve all day long, but, guaranteed, the next day I really pay for it in the pain department).

Wish me luck-don't want to drop this project (at least until I get to the results I envision) for want of a technical solution, but I just can't see putting that much effort into the undercarriage of the thing.
This one is called "The Golem Cart."

No comments: