Thursday, April 2, 2009

How is yer handwriting?

After so many years of being a scrawler, I'm thinking that I might want to go back to school to learn better penmanship.
What has inspired this is my drive to become a literacy tutor-I'm determined to bring English (or at least, better English) to one or more people on this planet. You simply can't scrawl and put it off as calligraphy to someone who is oh so innocently trying to understand this (complicated) language...it is just not fair.
Todays world is all about rush: when I think about writing more clearly, the first thing that pops into mind is that I
n e e d t o s l o w d o w n.
(this past line was supposed to look somewhat retarded and slow, but this program keeps "correcting" me...)

Sure.
This unit did not come with a variable speed feature-I mean, isn't it all or nothing?
Well, maybe not: this very well could be the clue to (re) learning how to write clearly. Slowing down and experiencing the thought that goes into each letter and its sound-teaching yourself how to give style and grace to the movement in your (writing) hand as each leeter is formed. Is this the key?
Sure.
This is really easy to reason out, but the clock keeps on ticking and, after all, who wants to put so much extra time into forming letters?
To teach writing you have to consider your student first. This hypothetical being is seeing the English language the same way many of us see Greek or Sanscrit or-even better-a reverse mirror image of this here text. Could you read this if it were reversed? I tried this on a bit of text and gave up almost IMMEDIATELY...what a great student I would be!
Anyhow, the point being that I need to put on the student "hat" and reverse my role only shortly to realize just why I need to slow down and start making handwriting that looks like that of my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Williams. She took the time to slow down for me.

1 comment:

Rick Parker said...

I truly believe "Simpler=Better". To make it easy to read and avoid confusion, just print using all capitals. Of course I feel this way-- I lettered 30,000 comics pages!