Saturday, November 21, 2009

A New Dog in Town




Out to try something new-I'm about to purchase some modelling material (not clay, to which I seem to have a real aversion -I may have to take a clay workshop just to see if have good reason...) called Winterstone. What I'm thinking is that I'd like to make this material into the consistency of putty and roll some stuff-meaning bits of lint, dog hair, string, dust-and create some figures-or at least heads with shoulders out of it.
The whole idea is to spend less time with the head/figure and more on my background and the overall piece-so much of my work is supported by the heads/figures and I'd like to take the emphasis and spread it around a little. Barring this, a new approach is needed here as I'm feeling stale. This has been a strong feeling with the coming of the fall and the DST time-change. Along with it came a sort of depression, a feeling that I can get "through" my work much like I could get "through" my house with the lights off (or my eyes closed)-I know things a little TOO well.
We'll have to see how/if this works. It will help that my last show of the season is exactly a week from today...
We had a little stray mutt-dog in the warehouse/office for the past two days. He must be all of a year old and weighs 27 pounds (we had him on the UPS scale)-we've been trying every possible name for him (he belonged to someone, for sure, as he is pretty well fully trained) to see if he responds-no dice. The group opinion has it that he was dumped and, even though Jamie and Michelle have posted "lost dog" notices up all over, he won't be claimed. I hope that this is so because, despite the fact that they both like big dogs, this little guy is seducing all of us. He can jump straight up in the air pretty far, never mind right into your lap. He seems to love riding in the truck and, no surprise here, loves to play. It's fun to be around a dog that is so different from what I'm used to ...if this dog isn't a Sparky, I dunno what the best name would be for him. But I'll leave that up to Jamie, as I think she has already fallen hard for him.
This one has no name yet, but is part of the big heads, as you can see. I included Raising Doubt here as well, which is uppermost and preceeded the new head by several months.



1 comment:

Carla Trujillo said...

Nice sculpture pieces! Have you ever tried working with Apoxie Sculpt? It is a self hardening synthetic clay and I really love working with it. If your interested check out clayalley.com