Thursday, January 13, 2011

We'll always have Paris...

And that's where I'm supposed to be right now.
Oh well, this trip is postponed/cancelled because now my Mom is in hospital as she has had a chronic problem with shortness of breath. She seems to be getting better now, but I'm not sure I understand the cause of the problem-nor do I think that the medicos do either. But on my last visit (Wednesday night), she was not wearing an oxygen tube. She was protesting long and hard about physical therapy, but while I was there visiting, we met her therapist and they commenced the program-mostly to get her walking and walking safely. The best part was that the therapist advised from the get-go that she'd need a home assistant. She is emotionally/conceptually ready for this, but not my Dad (he is still in a nursing facility doing rehab with his big-toeless foot-also to prepare him to walk safely...or not). There is so much resistance to change in this little family (I'm an only child) of mine. But I guess if you build the walls of your castle so high (my parents are NOT very social people), the day that they are breached-especially when you are at the BOTTOM of your fighting form-is an enormous shock and indignancy. I feel for them, but, unfortunately, I'm one of the ones who are breaking down those castle walls, so that others can help them: I can't do it all.
Dunno if this is familiar territory to any of you-I sure wish i had a sibling to share all this wonderful stuff with-coupled with the other recent events in my life, this certainly seems to be more of a test than reality-It seems too disturbing and punishing for all involved, yet there is no waking from this bad dream. What's that great but bittersweet line-"this, too , shall pass" -I hope it passes quickly.

No comments: