Saturday, January 8, 2011

Which Way Ya Goin', Billy?


Here's what's new: I found that I can go back to the paintings that I've started and make "edits", which sometimes translate into total white-over re-dos. Previously, I felt as though the whole plane had to be composed, figured-now I find that it's far more plastic and mutable. I don't want to use the word forgiving, because I don't want to be forgiven-there's no mistakes made here, onhly progress. I feel as if this must be a function of a new more secure painter that has emerged out of me-how, when and why I dunno. But I feel the power-not quite a religious experience, thank you very much, but I'm happy with the body of work I've accumulated as a painter. does it pass muster? Only for me. If I get photo or two, I'd be glad to show you, but here's the thing-this is more about a good feeling in the process-a feeling that I am (please pardon how this sounds) more one with the paint, rather than pushing it. Maybe it's just become a friendlier substance to me and, hot dammit, this has taken a lifetime-well, at least 35 of my many years...
Dunno how I'd feel about the whole thing if I were surrounded by a room (I paint in a 8 X 12 foot room) of failures-although what defines "winner" right now is more my perception of how the flow of process is going-especially that it's not stiff. Or that the painter is losing track of where he is heading (not that there ever could be a roadmap for this-unless it centers around the Street of Crocodiles)....
Life here is pretty complicated. My Dad is in a nursing home or rehab center, depending on the mood of the day. Mom is having breathing, heart and leg issues and still living in the big house I grew up in. Every phone call seems to bring bad news. Yes, you are right in assuming my work keeps me going, as does Laura who has been wonderful through all this. We go on vacation this coming week for a brief getaway.
That darn dog and I have become fast friends-I knew from the first time I saw him, he was a good 'un: tail wagging as he walked. Many people have said that he looks at me like I'm his rescuer and saver-I'll repeat the question I saw on a bumper sticker: "Who rescued who?"
Here's a question for anyone who might have an answer-Jhnny/Sock is such a calm dog, but he hangs head in van and gets carsick. Anybody have a remedy besides leaving him at home or "calming" drugs? I've yet to try ginger root extract, which was suggested.

This one is called "Kastor".

No comments: