Sunday, September 15, 2013

Something new?

I've been running up a few new sculptures on my Facebook page, but this one is still in the formative stage-or, should I say, it's an older pc that I felt never hit quite right.
Two days ago, I thought of covering the pc in tin, but I resisted and slathered it with modeling paste. Then yesterday, I dragged out oil paint and this was the result. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I hope that I can say that there is more coming and really mean it. The surface was really hard to start painting onto-my thoughts at the moment was that I was going to leave the studio unhappy (to have messed up a potentially decent sculpture with a covering of stuff that would have to dry before I could do anything to change it.  How locked in I am with making stuff that works...that is crowd-pleasing---there's no way I can call myself brave or self-challenging-but in this instance I feel like I made a momentary break-away.
Starting with a black base (it was white-modeling paste-hours before I started this pc), I added and swept bits of paint across, trying to keep my mind fairly blank-or, more to the point concentrating ONLY on the paint and the action of my brush. I added white liberally and rubbed out some areas back to black where I felt the paint was becoming a field. Later, I scraped away both paint and base to uncover the white undersurface. I was conscious of "doodling" with the brush- almost as if i were on the phone and scribbling away. Anyhow, the experience was pretty energizing. My thoughts for the future is to make up a "different" surface (i.e., not a canvas or rectangle shape) on which to do some more "doodling"...
.

No comments: