Friday, May 9, 2014

Layering

Considering I'm about to go and move my new (to me) heavy etching press (with the help of some well-paid movers), the word of the day is layering.
A concept new to me. One that I've not trusted in the past-I was and am inclined to think that the more you put on, the better your chances of coming out smelling like a rose.
Perhaps I confused the issue and, because I liked art that showed layers i thought that this must be too easy. Sorry- that was not very clear, but I'm not ask very clear about this whole layering thing.
BUT, all that being absolutely mangled, yers truly has started to think more in terms of layers and layering.  This is pretty important in printmaking-they seem to refer to different layers as "drops".
Wrapping my brain around the idea that I'll be putting one pc of paper through a press many times is a real challenge. Sure, it can be  a problem but quite exciting as well.
I will tell you that so far, most of my layered print work has NOT come out smelling like roses.

No comments: