Sunday, April 6, 2008

Early Memories About Art





One of my earliest memories (Alfred Adler would approve) of doing anything remotely connected with art is one of being in my kindergarten classroom in front of an easel. The easel was adjusted way too high for me to actually use (strange to think back to being a smaller size), but this was not an issue. There is beautiful natural morning light streaming in to the room (light plays an important part in my memories) and the instructor is tall and close at hand. This is a Saturday, so this must have been something special.


The instructor is showing off little lumps of clay (a.k.a., sculpture done by the class) that are embedded in shoe boxes. He is talking but I don't recollect the content. There is construction paper involved (is there any childhood art experience that doesn't include construction paper?)somehow and my parents seem to be at hand, waiting to take me home and get on with thier weekend.


That's it. I just remember this to be a positive experience.


This memory came back to me this morning as I was thinking about how hard it's been to start drawing and painting. Dunno about the subconscious relevance-perhaps it's a "sign." After spending part of yesterday agonizing about HOW to start a drawing, I guess bringing forth this memory makes sense. I'm not being smug or anything, but my sculptural work comes so easily to me-how could it be so damn hard with a pencil or a brush?


This past week, I attended a life drawing class. It has been a long time since I've drawn from the figure, maybe 16-17 years. It was a good experience in that I needed to think about nothing while moving the pencil across the paper. I was here to draw from the figure and from the figure only. Easy.


The problem is that I can't translate this ease of movement to any concept other than
drawing shoulders and feet. I've never been moved to drawing the landscapes or the objects around me...or portraits or any of that. Sitting there with blank paper and pencil in hand
is so unnatural. There's a lesson here somewhere for me. I just hope that it something as obvious as sticking to what comes naturally and leaving the rest alone....fuggeddaboutit.


Delilah, my very old puppy dog, has rallied. Although definitely less steady on her feet, she has been eating and getting herself outside. The past three days have seen her steadily improve-not only physically but in her attitude as well. She won't be chasing rabbits anytime soon, but at least she shows all the signs of wanting to. I might add that my dogsitter, who is a terrific help to me, suggested a harness as opposed to the collar Delilah wore most of her life. This has been a boon to me(not to mention to the dog), as it is easier to help the dog without using her neck for leverage. When she needs to be steadied, this harness is key-it's also easy on-easy off . Do yourself a favor if you have a geriatric pet and try one of these.
This is an older collage (January '08)-the bottom board is cut from an old cheezy pressboard print. It measures 9.5" X 12.5" and is titled "Playing to Birds" and is $125 plus shipping.

No comments: