Monday, April 14, 2008

Too Much Information

Does the incoming flow of information and visual stimulus ever stop?
For me, I’m thinking that it could be time to restrict the flow. This is not simply distraction I’m talking about, but a true bombardment.
There are no fingers to point. Everything is so damn instant –not only is stuff coming at you too quickly, but there is tons of material among the cerebral junk mail that truly merits attention.
I will not fall on my sword here and take the blame…I’m not that young nor am I that facile with electronics. Keeping yer mind and you senses in one place for more than seconds has become a real challenge. Granted, there’s a lot of stuff that can be taken in and filed or discarded at a quick clip. But what about real personal interactions-like opinion formation, comparative criticism, meaningful dialogue (whether internal or social)?
Seems to me that the faster you go, the more numb you get. On Friday, not only did I take in the springtime beauty of Central Park, see hundreds of photographic images at the Armory, look at hundreds of books at a multi-level Barnes and Noble Bookseller (I thought about buying quite a few of those books), engage two friends in complex conversations about the future, visited at least 20 Chelsea galleries and read about the process of writing while I was traveling to and from NYC. Jeezus.
Unusually, only a small part of this day involved electronic interaction, but I‘m starting to believe that there is level being set by the use of computers that’s causing us to speed our lives up. The concept of multi-tasking is by no means new, but there is a real difference between this as a physical concept and a cerebral/emotional one. After all (here comes something obvious, so hold onto your hats), we’re neither robots nor computers and will never match their speed and efficiency.
But we can try and therein could be a real problem.
Here's some advice: Slow Down (just watch out for the thorns when you smell those roses).

On another note, Delilah is plugging along, just like nothing ever happened. Yesterday, both of them (Rhonda is my other dog) were ready to romp (well, as much as 15 year-old dogs romp!).
Life goes on.

1 comment:

kittybutt said...

It's great to read that Delilah is doing better and I hope she continues to feel good. It's such a bittersweet thing to have pets, and I'll never be without one in my life.
I love your work and hope to see you at folk fest again this year and maybe i can treat myself to a piece of your work this time!