Friday, April 4, 2008

A good dog



A note of explanation: I didn't intend this blog to be diaristic. What is going on with my dog has become my main focus. Cormac Mcarthy says:"Things happen to you they happen. They dont ask first. They dont require your permission." (Italics are mine)




I had a great morning in the studio yesterday, despite the fact that my old hound dog is fading fast. In this life, you get searing tragedy one second and then events that make you choke with laughter in the next. Damn strange: absurdity and grace in the same breath.


We just returned from our morning walk and I spose Delilah was exhausted. Rhonda (my other mutt) gets to run around freely off leash on these walks. We three enjoy them and it keeps the dogs in better physical shape. When we were done, Delilah simply stretched out in the van and refused to move, so Rhonda and I went inside to work. Even though my concentration was a bit broken (I had to check on D every 15 minutes or so), I had a really good breakthrough on a piece that's been bothersome. This one had "worked" pretty well, but just wasn't as good as it could be. We'll see how it progresses.


I spent the afternoon trying, with no success, to put together some collage and drawing work. Tons of stuff cut out, not used. Ripped up three drawings that I had underway: these were mercy killings, believe me. This part of the day was tough-D was on the couch (I boosted her up there-she can't make it herself any more) and I monitored her constantly. she can't be blamed for breaking my concentration-I just didn't have any at this point to speak of.


Went out to a friend's opening in Bethlehem later (and to dinner in Nazareth!). Upon returning home,D refused all food except for a little gravy. I've been hand feeding her for the past few days. Since she was down all day and weak as a result, I had to support her almost entirely during her walk. Lots of stumbling and stopping.


I slept by her side (death watch?) and the evening passed without event. It was just as hard to get her outside this morning, added to the fact that it was raining. Somehow today, she seems much more alert-almost perky. We'll see what the rest of the day holds.


I'll leave her on the couch for a bit-I'll take Rhonda out (she will insist on it) and then I'm going to a figure drawing class in Easton (we end the biblical travels here). This will be the first time in years for such a class...I'm dreading what the results will look like, but the whole idea is for me to loosen up and use some of the dustier lobes.



The photo is of sleeping dogs by Djoser's step pyramid in Saqqara.

No comments: