Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Making sense of it ?


Back from the show-this time, it was the crafts event in Rhinebeck, NY.
I gave the windchime-and clock-makers some hot competition...ok, but not really. This was just another show for me-I hoped for the best, but the best never really materialized. I sold all of two pieces.
I stated the fact to myself and others that this is probably the best I'll be doing at any of these events. That I'll never be able to discover vast waves of fans that ooh and ahh and then buy work, because such numbers just don't exist. Or maybe they do in fantasyland. That's not here.
In less than two weeks I go down to Alabama to do the Kentuck show for fun and profit. This show, which I found intrguing in the past, is now starting to feel like any other fine art/craft event. Where have all the original characters gone-the real odd folk? Or is it me that has just gotten jaded to it all? I do miss Bucketman-Danny was a real original and a pioneer with his strange, lethal work. Hope he's still melting his buckets in heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I went to Kentuck last year rather than this year. Looking at the artist list/images - you may be right . . . just another fine quality, run of the mill art and craft show. I was very disheartened to hear that Theresa Disney was not juried in.

Sell lots . . .