Thursday, June 5, 2008

More about Home


So. Home is where you make it. I guess for some that that would mean that home is portable. I always liked the idea of a trailer and/or a yacht...when I recently saw the series (of course the name now escapes me) of the Chemistry professor turned methamphetamine-maker working out of a motorhome the idea of a portable studio struck me as really wild.
My studio/shop is definitely earth-bound. There is so much stuff (read, materials) in it that if I did more work with collage I'd be one of those freaks with the walls of stacked newspaper that made only the thinnest of walkways. You'd enter and wend your way around until you weren't quite sure you'd ever come out: a maze of used news. Back on topic, a portable studio makes almost no sense for me presently; but if I were to change my style...recently saw a design show that brought the shopping cart for the homeless to a state of the art affair. Every inch was designed for maximum efficiency and portability. What the designers left out was the unknowable-that humans rarely follow exact patterns. Only necessity compels us to have our homes dictate our lifestyles. The spartan life of the soldier comes to mind, but, in most cases, this is only a temporary lifestyle. I guess this is true for the homeless-at least I think that most homeless people would like their vagrant lifestyle to be temporary. But there are exceptions.
It makes you wonder what life would be like with so few strings...in light of the fact that I have SO many material attachments, of course the other side would look pretty attractive to me...certainly smells like release. Freedom from my own chains.

This one is from a month ago...it's titled "The Nasty Girl" and is 30" X 22" X 4"-it sells for $325.

1 comment:

Rick Parker said...

Her hair is like two poisonous tentacles.