Thursday, June 19, 2008

On Work That is New


Why does the very last thing you have done seem to have a different quality than all work that has gone before it? It shines like the Gem sought after in an Indiana Jones movie. Let me qualify that: it glows like mad, but only after its "kinks" have been worked out and you, the (proud?) creator, regard it as a sucessful work of art-an effort that merits its rightful place among your other "really good" pieces.
Like anything fresh and new, its essence is fragile-wait too long and that essence will waft away. What you will have then is just another work of art, to be stacked amongst the others (and here comes another cinematic reference), like the thousands of wooden crates in the vast warehouse of the dead Citizen Kane.

For me, new work has these characteristics:

a) The inspiration and/or backstory of what led to the work is fresh in my mind.
b) The internal conversation that I've had while making the piece is still close to the surface and available.
c) My understanding of how this piece fits in with the works that have come before it is so much more apparent.
d) The work can also be more readily tied contextually to my life, whatever value this might have.
e) The excitement I feel about the piece is more easily shared with my audience for being such new territory.

There are times when all this applies even more intensely to work that is in progress, but cannot be shared as easily-unless the audience is composed of other artists, familiar with all that results in the constant dialogue between the artist and his/her artwork in progress.
This sculpture is called "Mirror of Skin" and measures about 40" high.

1 comment:

Name: Roberta said...

I just came across your blog and your work... very nice! I like this latest one a lot. I look forward to seeing more of your creations when I peek back from time to time.