Sunday, August 24, 2008

Coaxing the dog

I never thought that I'd ever have to coax Delilah to eat her food-I feel like I'm pretty much begging her to eat and in doing so, staving off the inevitable-when your dog doesn't eat, it's curtains-a sign that it is later than you think.
She begs from us almost all the time, but lately she turns up her nose at her regular food-Rhonda, by comparison, is right there scarfing hers right up. The situation, for most of their lives, was usually reversed.
I hand fed Delilah about two or three months ago, when she seemd to start her true decline. It was a pitiful thing and it made me sad beyond most things I have yet experienced in this life. But she ate...I'm about to go downstairs and try that trick again-or maybe some of the chicken I'm making for our dinner tonight will end up in her bowl. At any rate, it's just so hard to beleive that one minute everything goes along so smoothly in it's almost boring way. The next moment everything is new in such a painful way. I guess this is just how we live. And die.

No comments: